Thursday, January 1, 2009

Ring in the New Year !!

Happy New Year greetings to all !!!


This is one of my first 3-D bell designs - 1992.

I created the bell in 1992 and I used a photo of it for my Christmas card that year. The bell itself is about 3" high.

The bottom ‘round’ is a flat lace from The Tatters Treasure Chest,
Dover Publications 1991 – a compilation of “out of print thread company leaflets”.

I submitted this bell design (among other items) to
a national craft magazine in 1992.

I’ll be writing a whole post about that experience in the future!

I can’t find these small doves in craft stores anymore, although
they may be available on the internet.



If you look very closely you’ll see the ‘crystal’ bell clapper (actually a clear acrylic 'bead') at the end of a gold chain. It took extra time to ‘make’ the clapper using jewelry tools.

I often made two bells as package toppers on the gift for a bride (one bell was for the bride's mother), using ribbons and flowers in the bride’s wedding colors. I sometimes furnished a brass holder for displaying the bell on a shelf or in a curio. Of course, the bride can also hang the bell on her Christmas tree, as shown here.

On a non-tatting note, I certainly enjoyed watching the Rose Bowl Parade on TV this morning. I can't even begin to imagine how they put those floats together! They seem to have a short 'window of opportunity' to attach the flowers and seeds. etc. The parade must be magnificent to see in person!


I also enjoy the marching bands, as I was in our high school band back in - well - let's just say a very long time ago!!!! I played the clarinet during concert season and was a majorette during football season, and loved every minute of it!! Sadly, it seems that majorettes are being phased out of high school bands - but I'm happy that college bands still seem to feature them. Just another trip down memory lane for me!!

Enjoy your New Year celebrations and the remaining days of this Holiday season!

4 comments:

  1. Kathy,
    Your bell is exquisite! I have a 3-D tatted egg that I designed and was going on to bells next, LOL! Great minds think alike! I'd love to hear about your experience! You are an incredibly talented designer, Kathy. I know I am not alone when I say there are many of us tatters who would LOVE to tat your beautiful designs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tatting Chic! Thanks so much for your kind comments! I have waited 17 years to get my bells out to the tatting community. The delay all has to do with the national magazine I mentioned and I’ll get into that saga eventually.

    However, this gives me a chance to let you know that I’m very well aware of your fantastic tatted egg, and I’ve been wanting to write to you about it. Your 3-D egg really blew me away when I first saw it! I can’t imagine how complicated your design must be!

    Interestingly, I first started with bells, then went to an egg design (only one), which is really quite simple and very open and is made in two sections, although I cleverly figured out how to hide the seam – but it's somewhat labor intensive.

    Again, thanks for always leaving comments – I appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bell is so beautiful, and the dove and flower on top adds just the right touch. All your work is exquisite!
    I'll be waiting to hear that magazine story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you found or started the beautiful slipper tatting pattern yet?

    ReplyDelete